General Education Transter of Credits FAQs

The Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) is a means by which students can transfer their completed lower division, general education requirements. This is a package of 40 credits that includes ten goal areas.

All Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU), the University of Minnesota, some private colleges, and out-of-state colleges and universities. Please contact a college counselor to inquire.

The transfer curriculum (40 credits) and the AA (64 credits) transfer as a package. This means the transfer institution does not look course-by-course to evaluate for transfer, nor do you, as the student, need to meet their transfer education requirements. By transferring with an AA, you can transfer as a Junior to a four-year college and by following a plan designed for transfer into that major, be fully prepared for your major classes.

Normally, this involves two more years of a full-time credit load. However, this depends on how well a student has made decisions and planned their courses. Students who do not follow a specific academic plan when they start may have more than two years left at the transfer university. Also, some bachelor's degrees simply have so much content, they may take more than four years to complete. Example: Elementary Education majors typically are in college for 4-1/2 years, on average.

Generally, technical credits are good for up to five years. Transfer credits tend to remain good for longer periods of time if they are general in nature like sociology, psychology, history and English. Students entering technical or medical-related majors with older courses in science or technology may be asked to repeat these.

The college you're transferring to determines the transferability of your courses from Ridgewater. Also, four-year college departments, such as education or business, may ask for a specific set of courses from Ridgewater College. It is very important to check with an advisor or counselor and refer to the catalog for help planning for a specific major.